TREATING PATIENTS WITH TRICUSPID REGURGITATION
The TriClip™ tricuspid valve repair system offers Transcatheter Tricuspid Valve Repair as a non-surgical, alternative treatment for tricuspid regurgitation (TR). It is ideal for the following candidates:
- Patients with severe, symptomatic tricuspid regurgitation
- Patients in whom TR medical therapy is not enough
- Patients who are high surgical risk
PATIENTS WITH SEVERE TRICUSPID REGURGITATION HAVE SIGNIFICANTLY IMPAIRED QUALITY OF LIFE
- Shortness of breath
- Peripheral edema
- Declining exercise capacity
Medications have limited impact on survival.
Retrospective analysis of 13,026 patients with HFrEF Stage B or C with EF < 50%. Exclusions criteria included previous valve surgery, PPML and moderate or severe organic, mitral or aortic valve disease.1
HIGH-RISK SURGICAL PATIENTS2,3
Surgery for TR is seldom performed. Factors prohibiting surgery include:
- High operative risk (8%–13% operative mortality)
- Multiple comorbidities
- Advanced Age
- Lack of effectiveness
- Benfari G, Antoine C, Miller WL, et al. Excess mortality associated with functional tricuspid regurgitation complicating heart failure with reduced ejection fraction [published online ahead of print May 23, 2019]. Circulation. 2019;140(3):196-206. doi:10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.118.038946.
- Enriquez-Sarano M, Messika-Zeitoun D, Topilsky Y, et al. Tricuspid regurgitation is a public health crisis [published online ahead of print November 9, 2019]. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2019;62(6):447-451. doi:10.1016/j.pcad.2019.10.009.
- Goliasch G, Mascherbauer J. Interventional treatment of tricuspid regurgitation: an important innovation in cardiology. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2020;132(3-4):57-60. doi:10.1007/s00508-020-01621-0.