This generation of the Epic Platform has been built on the Biocor legacy of excellent durability, proven performance and unparalleled implantability—and reimagined with the future of transcatheter interventions in mind.
It’s the surgical valve platform that gives you and your patients more choices when it comes to preserving long-term treatment paths.
- Can withstand up to approximately 8 atm pressure during balloon valvuloplasty procedures1
- Internally mounted leaflets and low stent post height reduces coronary obstruction2
- Low stent post height is less likely to obstruct the LVOT (left ventricular outflow tract)3
- Epic leaflets are not prone to forming a curtain between stent posts when opened, which can result in LVOT obstruction
*For 27 mm valve size, measured from the farthest point of the cuff.
HEAR WHAT Surgeons FROM AROUND THE WORLD THINK ABOUT EPIC
Eric Charbonneau, MD, FRCSC
Vinod Thourani, MD
Taichi Sakaguchi, MD
Sven Lehmann, MD, MBA, HCM
- Stent symmetry eliminates the need for specific orientation
- Flexible polymer stent offers more forgiving insertion and seating
- Short rinse time of 2 x 10 seconds4
- Epic Mitral ratcheting holder reduces risk of suture looping
- Epic Platform cuff options allow for secure suture placement while limiting suture drag and parachuting forces
The platform’s optimal leaflet design mitigates regurgitation, while the flexible cuff is designed to minimize risk of paravalvular leak (PVL) and easily fit patient anatomy.
After 5 years, incidence of paravalvular leak is:
Linx™ anticalcification (AC) treatment may improve long-term performance and durability*
AT 10 YEARS
Freedom from SVD,
all patient ages (Epic Aortic)7
*There is no clinical data currently available that evaluates the long-term impact of anticalcification tissue treatment in humans.
**From stand-alone aortic or mitral valve replacements.
MAT-2006197 v2.0 | Item approved for Global OUS use only.
- Allen KB, Adnan CK, Cohen DJ, et al. Bioprosthetic valve fracture to facilitate transcatheter valve-in-valve implantation. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:1501-1508.
- Edelmann JJ, Khan JM, BM BCh, et al. Valve-in-valve TAVR: state-of-the-art review. Innovations. 2019;14(4):299.
- Guler N, Ozkara C, Akyol A. Left ventricular outflow tract obstruction after bioprosthetic mitral valve replacement with posterior mitral leaflet preservation. Texas Heart Institute Journal. 2006;33:399-401.
- Epic Instructions for Use
- Lehmann S, Walther T, Sergey L, et al. Mid-term results after Epic™ Xenograft implantation for aortic, mitral, and double valve replacement. Journal of Heart Valve Disease. 2007;16:641-648.
- Lehmann S, Jawad AM, Fisher J, et al. Long-term follow-up after porcine xenograft mitral valve replacement. Presented at: 2017 American Association For Thoracic Surgery Mitral Conclave. April 27-28, 2017; New York, NY USA.
- Lehmann S, Merk DR, Etz CD, et al. Porcine xenograft for aortic, mitral and double valve replacement: long-term results of 2544 consecutive patients. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2016;49:1150–1156.