For patients who have had a cryptogenic stroke and have a patent foramen ovale (PFO), clinical trials have shown that they can benefit from PFO closure.2-4
The Amplatzer™ PFO Occluder significantly lowers the risk of recurrent ischemic stroke and offers an excellent safety profile.1
Three large clinical trials have confirmed the superiority of PFO closure to medical management in reducing risk of stroke recurrence.2-4
One study, the RESPECT trial,2 is notable for several reasons:
- Excellent safety and efficacy outcomes from the largest PFO trial to date
- More patients enrolled and evaluated
- The most extensive patient follow-up: 5,810 patient years of data
The Amplatzer PFO Occluder set the standard, pioneering treatment with a device developed specifically for PFO closure. Such leadership is one reason physicians can rely on the Amplatzer PFO occluder, since:
- As an industry-leading design, it facilitates easy closure
- Over 130,000 devices have been implanted worldwide1
Hear from RESPECT Trial Principal Investigator
Jeffrey Saver, MD discusses the data supporting the benefits of PFO closure.
PFO closure with the Amplatzer PFO Occluder is demonstrated in this brief video.
MAT-2010605 v1.0 | Item approved for Global OUS use only.
- Data on file at Abbott.
- Saver JL, Carroll JD, Thaler DE, et al. Long-term outcomes of patent foramen ovale closure or medical therapy after stroke. N Engl J Med. 2017;377:1022-1032. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1610057.
- Søndergaard L, Kasner SE, Rhodes JF, et al. Patent foramen ovale closure or antiplatelet therapy for cryptogenic stroke. N Engl J Med. 2017;377:1033-1042. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1707404.
- Mas J-L, Derumeaux G, Guillon B, et al. Patent foramen ovale closure or anticoagulation vs. antiplatelets after stroke. N Engl J Med. 2017;377:1011-1021 and supplementary appendix. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1705915.